Full Stack Python Software Engineer, Internet - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the Opportunity:
As a software Engineer, you will play a major role in reinventing our core web experience, platform, development processes and tools. You’ll be part of a growing team that is building our next generation fiber platform. The platform offers a robust API for provisioning and managing hardware on our fiber network and integrates with many other services and tools that power our business. These capabilities allow us to differentiate and scale our Ting business.
Ideally, you have notable experience developing software and are comfortable moving between different parts of the stack to implement features in the frontend or backend. You are also capable of navigating large codebases and uncovering the complexity in existing systems. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in code reviews and design discussions. In addition to the above, you are forward-thinking and able to remain effective when priorities shift.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our existing platforms and platform
- Design and implement features of growing complexity and ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Create user friendly web experiences using a variety of programming languages
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that development standards are adhered to
In the first year:
- Own projects or features from conception to release
- Balance the need to ship code quickly with the need to make sound technical decisions.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience with web technologies and frameworks like Python, Node.js, Ruby on Rails 4 to 5 years.
- Experience with modern frontend frameworks like React.js, Vue.js.
- Experience implementing HTML and CSS from mockups using industry standard templating languages
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with container technologies like Docker
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
- Knowledge of fiber networks a plus
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.