Outside Plant Field Engineer
Holly Springs, NC
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
The OSP Field Engineer performs detailed outside plant facility engineering tasks that include analyzing, estimating, planning, designing, budgeting and tracking estimates. The OSP Field Engineer will work closely with cross-functional teams to develop project budgets and economic feasibility studies. This position is responsible for preparing and interpreting engineering plans, drawings and reports. Planning and designing field mounted electronic locations for serving areas. The OSP Field Engineer will also perform pole, conduit and buried facility design measurements utilizing company and industry OSP design guidelines and standards. The position will work closely with the Fiber Design team to provide accurate electronic mapping data for the region.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform pre-construction fiber designs to determine most optimal fiber routes for customer laterals and backbone
- Develop and maintain good relations with local utilities, vendors, contractors and government agencies
- Perform data collection tasks to secure state, county, city and other special permits in conjunction with the company’s permitting team.
- Develop accurate statement of work (SOW) splice packages, to include cost estimates and Fiber routes in conjunction with the design team (primarily in CAD, GIS or Google Earth formats)
- Work with the design team to prepare conduit drawings for use with power companies and developers
- Administer customer contacts, negotiation of land acquisitions for easements and land purchases for field mounted equipment
- Perform oversight on fiber optic testing in relation to accepting newly installed fiber plant or trouble repairs
- Perform post construction quality assurance of contractors work to ensure work is met to standard telecommunication construction standards and has met the scope of work requirements
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the manager to ensure effective operation of the department
- Solid knowledge in OSP construction methods and practices as set by RUS, Telecordia, and BICSI
- Prior experience as OSP Design Engineer or 5+ years OSP experience in fiber construction and maintenance
- Demonstrate understanding of access networks on various fiber architectures
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks is preferred
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Displays leadership qualities required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Google Suites and Google Earth Software
- Ability to work in all climates
- Ability to walk long distances over varying terrain
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.