Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the role:
At Tucows, data is essential for the organization. We are in the midst of building a world-class analytics, reporting and data science platform and recognize the foundational importance of solid data engineering. We think of data as a first class citizen. Our platform technology includes tools like Stitch, Airflow, DBT, Kafka, Snowflake and Looker.
We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated Data Engineer who loves the Internet, and loves learning and applying new technologies to solve complex problems. You will work closely with the analytics and data science teams, as well as the business stakeholders. You will enable the business to make increasingly better decisions by creating robust data pipelines and well-designed, high-quality data structures.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Help to evolve and scale the data platform to enable the business.
- Work closely with the analytics team and business stakeholders to understand the needs of the business providing data processes to support business decisions.
- Create large-scale batch and real-time scalable data pipelines (ETL/ELT).
- Write complex queries on large, heterogeneous data sets, make it easily accessible, and optimize the performance of our data platform.
- Perform Data wrangling to transform and map data from raw data forms into formats more appropriate and valuable for analytics
- Continuously optimize testing and tooling to improve data quality.
- Employ best-practices practices in continuous integration and delivery.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- You have at least 2 years of software/data engineering experience.
- You have experience building scalable and reliable data pipelines, combining and transforming data from sources to consumption, and architecting data stores.
- You have experience with one or more data processing frameworks.
- Have hands-on experience with dimensional modeling.
- You have SQL skills and have experience with open source RDBMSes, No-SQL, messaging, and event streaming platforms, like Postgres, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, and Kafka.
- You know, and can demonstrate, the value of agile processes, continuous integration, and continuous delivery.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You love to collaborate, are a good team player, an excellent listener, and are fun to work with.
- Have experience with cloud data technologies.
- Predictive modeling and machine learning engineering experience is a strong plus.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.