Open Stack Cloud Systems Engineer - Remote
Remote, Vancouver, BC
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
The Cloud Systems Engineer will be a hands-on technical role in conjunction with guiding a team responsible for the day to day operations of private Openstack based Cloud infrastructure, including assisting the migration of production systems into a new architecture, taking advantage of the latest DevOps methodologies and tools. You will be working in a dynamic environment and proposing creative and practical solutions to operational challenges.
- Install, configure, maintain and manage all hardware and software system components of Openstack
- Install, configure, maintain and manage auxiliary Cloud support systems and other micro-cloud
- Collaborate with members of the Cloud team to build and create internal tools and APIs for
- Research, innovate and implement new technologies that improve our velocity.
- Will be part of the on-call rotation schedule for Cloud Operations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong experience with working in Debian based Linux environments
- Strong experience in Openstack based cloud computing and Ceph storage systems
- Experience with Saltstack or Ansible python-based automation frameworks. Able to extend these frameworks with new modules
- Strong experience with Python development and shell scripting
- Good knowledge of computing and storage hardware systems
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code principles and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend new technologies
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with an ability to establish relationships.
- Work effectively within a team environment.
- 5+ years of professional experience as a senior DevOps engineer or Linux administrator
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.