Systems Engineer, Network Architecture - Remote
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people ironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the Opportunity:
As a Systems Engineer in the Network Architecture team, you will play a major role in automating our infrastructure, development processes and tools. You’ll be part of a growing team that is building our next generation fiber platform. The platform offers a robust API for provisioning and managing hardware on our fiber network and integrates with many other services and tools that power our business. These capabilities allow us to differentiate and scale our Ting business.
Ideally, you have notable experience with systems automation tools like Salt and Ansible. You develop, test, administer, deploy, and maintain our infrastructure. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in peer reviews and design discussions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing and maintaining Salt recipes for new applications.
- Deploying infrastructure that serves thousands of households and businesses.
- Integrating existing systems to make them work together
- Enhancing our monitoring systems to enable the best customer service experience.
- Debugging issues with our DNS, DHCP, radius and monitoring platforms.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience as a systems engineer
- Affinity with networking and a good understanding of protocols like DHCP.
- Experience automating virtual machine deployments with Salt
- Experience with maintaining Proxmox clusters
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
Nice to have:
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience with programming languages like Python or scripting languages like Bash
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
- Knowledge of fiber networks a plus
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.