Director, OSP Engineering - Remote
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people ironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
What you'll be doing:
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
Standards, Change Management, and NPI
- Develop and maintain architectural guidance, engineering and design guidelines and quality standards, and E2E engineering and design processes
- Lead a team to evaluate new OSP products and designs for possible implementation
- Lead the Technical Writing team that is responsible for the creation and maintenance of user documentation, SOPs, Bulletins and the revision control of these documents
- Evaluate and advise senior management regarding strategic planning of rebuilds and system expansion, and new product development and deployment
- Creation and oversight of the material change management approval process
- Develop a QA/QC program to ensure alignment to engineering and design standards across the Ting Internet footprint
Engineering Leadership and Organizational Development
- Participate in budget and forecasting planning and manage departmental expenses and development and tracking of OKRs
- In partnership with the senior management, oversee the growth and capabilities development of the team
- Occasional Domestic and International travel - 10%
The experience you will bring:
- Ability to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on video conference, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Advanced Knowledge of Service Provider FTTH engineering and construction practices
- Ability to balance multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to make decisions and tackle problems while working under pressure
- Ability to supervise and empower others
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications
- Advanced knowledge of Fiber Optic theory
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electric Safety Code
- Strategic Agility
- 10+ years of engineering leadership experience
- 5+ years proven experience with project management
- 7+ years proven leadership skills
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent experience preferred
- Industry and vendor-specific certifications and training
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.