Senior Scrum Master - Remote
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people ironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Tucows' Ting Mobile organization is transitioning to agile and scrum and is looking for Senior Scrum Masters to join our team to help us master scrum and deliver great products to our customers. This is a key role of the delivery team responsible for ensuring the successful delivery of Agile projects. You will be called upon to utilize your influence, leadership, project management skills and knowledge of agile to deliver both customer and organizational value, and to increase the impact of the Scrum team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead scrum teams to successfully deliver customer product increments.
- Guide, coach, empower the team and remove impediments to progress.
- Provide agile leadership and training, assessing agile maturity and constantly raising the bar to improve the team's velocity and efficiency.
- Work with the engineering and product leadership teams to provide project information, coordinate activities between scrum teams and to globally raise the bar on agile practices.
- Provide hands-on management and mentor teams in all aspects of scrum (facilitating daily stand-ups, backlog refinement, sprint planning, sprint reviews, sprint retro, dependency meetings between teams, self-organization, collaboration, iterative solutioning, managing flow, calculating velocity, limiting work in progress, etc).
- Managing product features and improvements in terms of quality, scope and schedule within sprint cycles.
- Responsible for assuring quality user stories that meet organizational standards which may require the Scrum Master to facilitate in or assist with writing user stories.
- Works effectively with management and team members to clarify needs and pan delivery of product changes, future versions and new products.
- Proactively manages risk, issues, assumptions and dependencies at various levels ensuring they are identified, coordinated, mitigated, called out and resolved.
- Remove impediments that prevent the team from achieving sprint, release, and project goals (both internal and external to the team).
- Reviews current agile processes, drive process improvements and challenge the teams to innovate.
- Effectively maintain, utilize and advance agile project management tools and processes, including documentation and artifacts.
- Performing miscellaneous support tasks as needed throughout the entire SDLC.
- Creates an environment that energizes and empowers the team, with a focus on accountability, flexibility, and collaboration.
- Contributes to building a culture where continuous improvement of the agile process is in focus.
- Provides creative, out-of-the-box solutions to solving complex problems.
- Leads multiple scrum teams in parallel.
- Plans and coordinates releases and their contents, ensuring they are aligned with roadmap and priority. Ensures release plans and their contents are disseminated to all appropriate partners.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, project management or equivalent, proven experience.
- 5+ years in a 100%-dedicated Scrum Master role for a delivery team that diligently applied scrum principles, practices, and theory and has successfully shipped multiple product releases.
- Experience leading scrum teams across a full tech stack with integration projects.
- Scrum Master Certification required, multiple certifications preferable.
- Understand the fundamental concepts of software development including CICD and deployment methodologies.
- Servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, positivity, and growing transparency.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Understand the value of commitments to delivery made by a development team.
- Experience in agile and project measurement techniques and in establishing metrics for tracking team impact and velocity.
- A deep agile toolbox including awareness of various agile techniques, alternate project management approaches and the wisdom to understand when to apply which process to the problem at hand.
- Proficiency with MS Office and G-Suite.
Additional nice-to-have qualifications
- Experience with Atlassian JIRA, JQL. Experience with various JIRA plugins such as Structure and Script-Runner a plus.
- Experience with DevOps, Cloud Services, and software development tools and languages a plus.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.