Senior Manager of Field Operations - Central Region (Remote)
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people ironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team with the expansion of "Crazy Fast Fiber Internet" service in multiple markets across the U.S.? The Senior Manager of Field Operations is a regional and technical manager role leading assigned market areas and all Field Operations activities within, including local management. This Regional Senior Manager position is responsible for both the management and operational cadences within our Central region, including all Colorado markets and any future Central market areas.
The role includes
- Work with all departments to ensure a united approach is taken to managing the local Ting town’s network and all its employees.
- Ensure each responsible market has what they need to effectively manage their scheduled work across the construction and installation processes, as well as locating Ting networks.
- Collaborate with Inventory management and Project Management to confirm all required materials for fiber construction and fiber installation are on-site and accounted for at all times.
- Support your local leadership teams and their efforts in working together with contractors to ensure completion of work directed by the PMO and otherwise using an end of shift reporting process.
- Champion the efforts of keeping our teams productive and ensuring the ability to collect and interpret such efficiency in reporting by market, and by team / function.
- Ensure only the best quality of work is delivered by each team, while encouraging a culture of accountability and enforcement through routinely scheduled quality inspections.
- Partner and be accountable to the Ting finance team related to reporting, cost projections, budgeting, inventory inquiries and other as-needed requests.
- Coordinate with cross functional teams to provide local support for all network fiber construction, including inspection, network test and accept and project closure.
- Coordinate with the Network Infrastructure team to ensure proactive preventive maintenance is conducted on required equipment to ensure longevity of resources.
- Coordinate with Fleet Management to ensure Ting fleet remains healthy and operational.
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure our local teams are participating in local marketing events quarterly to cultivate a healthy relationship between acquiring new business and executing on existing business.
- Maintain positive relationships with our Ting Field Operations team centered around our desired culture keystones of safety first, pride, teamwork, integrity, community and accountability.
- Complete regularly scheduled and proactive one on one’s with your team and your assigned manager.
- Attend and complete monthly leadership reviews with your direct reports to ensure alignment of company goals and operational execution.
- Ensure each assigned market completes a monthly operational review of the market and share cross functionally to develop healthy relationships and share performance.
- Continuously develop Ting’s technician progression program by giving clear communication to the teams on what skills are required for advancement in the organization. Ensure quarterly technician performance reviews and promote accordingly.
- Partner with Technical Training and Safety Manager to ensure your team is well trained and safe in all construction and installation efforts.
- Partner with Field Implementation Manager to ensure the field operation has the appropriate tools, systems and processes.
- All other duties assigned by manager
- Domestic and International travel up to 50%.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 10+ years Fiber Optic experience
- 5+ years proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and verbal.
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Knowledge of FTTX practices
- Ability to supervise and motivate others in person and remotely
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to make decisions while working under pressure
- Knowledge of Central Office environments preferred
- Advance knowledge of Fiber Optic theory
- Problem solver
- Growth mentality – Must be driven to grow and succeed professionally.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training preferred
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.