Director, Internet Engineering
Simply Bits, now part of Ting Internet, is the largest fixed wireless network service provider in Tucson, servicing thousands of residences, enterprises, educational institutions and government agencies across Southern Arizona.
With a rapidly expanding footprint, we are part of a larger team delivering future-proof internet in over a dozen Ting Towns across the country.
Ting, which is also part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), is backed by outstanding resources and talent. We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us.
The work we do genuinely changes lives. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
About the opportunity:
The Director of Internet Engineering is a strategic position with occasional tactical tasks. The incumbent will participate in the design, development, implementation and maintenance of voice and data network communication systems, and strategically will serve as the company’s designated Subject Matter Expert (SME) and a member of the leadership team. The Director of Internet Engineering works collaboratively with other department directors, serves as a key contributor for special top-level programs and strategic or complex solutions that include specialized LAN/WAN and VoIP deployments.
- Proactively lead engineering and technical support services required to operate a successful and growing regional wireless internet service provider (WISP).
- Lead a team of Network Engineers, Field Engineers, Network Designers, etc.
- Providing technical vision and direction for the company.
- Developing long-term infrastructure design goals and hardware acquisitions needed to accomplish these goals as part of the company’s overall business objectives.
- May assist with the generation of new business and growth of existing accounts.
- Establishing and maintaining technology standards.
- Defining functionality tests and monitoring to ensure the highest quality of service and support.
- Lead team activities as required to keep the technology infrastructure running seamlessly, efficiently, and effectively by holding staff accountable for tasks assigned.
- Ensuring compliance with established company standards and policies.
- May develop key specifications, prototypes, or initial user guides as templates for company standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bit about you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Telecommunications.
- 8 plus years working experience in telecommunications or related field.
- Experience in a management position leading interdisciplinary teams with both operational and financial budgetary responsibilities.
- Experience designing and implementing complex solutions for private networks and backhaul infrastructure applying RF wireless technologies for a WISP.
- Demonstrated experience using current programming languages and design tools in Microsoft Windows and Linux OS environments supporting a multi-tenant Asterisk VoIP system.
- Knowledge and expertise in RF wireless technologies, radios, towers, switching, routing, firewall, VPN, content networking, and network management systems across a wide variety of complex architectures, platforms and mediums.
- Creative problem solver and team builder with a proven track record of successes.
- Develop processes and procedures for technical departments to ensure cross collaboration and support of company voice and data network.
- Ability to define, document, and present company strategy, direction and architectures in a global access network environment, ensuring a successful implementation and acceptance.
- Detailed understanding of service provider operational practices for security, BGP peering, IPv4/IPv6 address allocation, registry relations, QoS using DSCP and CoS bits, and being a good net citizen.
- Expertise in creating repeatable, reliable, scalable network architectures, with fault tolerance, performance tuning, monitoring systems, statistics/metrics collection, and disaster recovery.
- Solid grasp of setting up, configure, upgrade, manage, and troubleshoot routers, switches, VPN concentrators, firewalls, WAN optimization, and transport equipment using a variety of interfaces and WISP tools;
- Demonstrated experience with Juniper, MikroTik and Cambium products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong analytical skills
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Ting and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.