Head of Accounting, Ting Fiber
Ting Internet is a leading fiber Internet provider in the United States, delivering future-proof internet in over a dozen Ting Towns across the country.
We are rapidly growing our footprint, and with a national focus on better infrastructure, we don’t expect to slow down anytime soon!
As part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), Ting is backed by outstanding resources and talent. We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
The work we do genuinely changes lives. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Ting Fiber is revolutionizing Internet access in the United States. With operations in 13 cities, Ting is currently laying the groundwork to prepare our business for rapid expansion. Ting is investing millions in building and operating fiber networks and partnering with progressive towns across the US to change what people expect from their Internet service provider. We are looking for an experienced and transformative leader to join our Ting Fiber Accounting team as we prepare for a new frontier of growth.
As the Head of Accounting - Ting Fiber, you will report directly to the Senior Director of Finance - Ting Fiber, and have ultimate responsibility over the entire Ting Fiber Accounting function. It is a big and exciting role for someone ready for a challenge in a hyper-growth environment. In this role, you will get the opportunity to be a transformative leader by working with the existing Controllers and Sr. Financial Analysts to introduce more rigor and structure, with the goal of driving efficiency and simplicity within a complex business. This will make us more effective today and allow us to manage the growth of the business. Over time, you will be tasked with defining and executing a hiring plan to sufficiently support the business needs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Overseeing day-to-day accounting operations as well as month-end, quarter-end and year-end close cycles in accordance with accounting policies.
- Developing and implementing best practices, including assistance with the scoping and implementation of tools, to drive end-to-end efficiency and simplification.
- Assistance with M&A diligence.
- Ultimate responsibility for post-acquisition integration of financials, billing systems and, if applicable, accounting staff.
- Ownership of the PnL, including month-end variance analysis and illuminating areas for potential cost savings.
- Working with the business and Project Controls team to ensure accurate and appropriate records for the substantive capital investment.
- Management of the annual budgeting process and reforecasting.
- Preparation of monthly cash flows of the business, to be provided to the Treasury team.
- Management of the regulatory and property tax filings with our third party tax compliance service.
- Hiring, training and retaining competent staff.
- Assistance with authorization of expenditures up to a specific threshold.
- Working closely with management or executive teams to share reports, analysis and findings.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Post-secondary education with a CPA or equivalent designation.
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in similar roles, with significant, successful and proven experience leading an accounting department. Multi-location and telecommunications exposure is an asset, but not required.
- Proven experience with designing and implementing process improvements and controls surrounding an accounting function.
- A creative problem-solver, who thrives in complex, ambiguous situations and prides themselves on staying one step ahead of potential issues.
- Respected as a people-person and a strong collaborative team player with ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables and help others prioritize to meet deadlines and goals in a dynamic, ever-changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Ability to hire, supervise, motivate, and mentor others remotely.
- Ability to operate in a startup environment, requiring organizational and strategic agility and resilience.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and interpretative skills.
- Detailed understanding of financial statements. US GAAP exposure is an asset, but not required.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Ting and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.