Sr Manager, Network Operations - Remote
Solana Beach, CA
Ting Internet is a leading fiber Internet provider in the United States, delivering future-proof internet in over a dozen Ting Towns across the country.
We are rapidly growing our footprint, and with a national focus on better infrastructure, we don’t expect to slow down anytime soon!
As part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), Ting is backed by outstanding resources and talent. We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
The work we do genuinely changes lives. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
About the opportunity:
The Senior Manager Network Operations will lead a team of advanced and entry-level network engineers and systems administrators to operate and troubleshoot our access and regional backbone networks with the goal of providing an exceptional customer experience. The ideal candidate will have a focus on reliability, responsiveness, documentation and process improvement. This person will lead and mentor the Network Operations team, and have extensive interactions with other teams required to deploy new networks such as field operations, outside plant, network infrastructure, product, customer support, program management.
- Lead team responsible for documenting existing network infrastructure, or verifying new networks match design documentation.
- Provide support for customer issues identified by NOC, working to resolve issues as quickly as possible. Document resolution steps and if possible, identify ways to prevent issues from occurring in the future, working with Network Engineering as needed.
- Responsible for assessing talent, identifying gaps and performers. Provides development guidance and opportunities for stretch roles to develop future leaders. Sets performance standards and holds team members accountable to standards.
- Forecasts needed resources such as vendors, technologies, consultants, staffing needs, and training for the team to accomplish business objectives.
- Responsible for handling the selection, and contract negotiation for vendors of services that are utilized.
- Provides direction in areas such as routing protocols, routers, switches, wireless, MPLS, network to network interfaces, metro Ethernet, and network access controls. Hands-on experience in these fields is required.
- Reviews and approves network change activities initiated by Network Engineers to ensure proper coordination, implementation and validation procedures are in-place. Ensures conformance to Change Management policies.
- Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Provide frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
- Lead and encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
- Empower staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- Work closely with SMEs from business partner teams to maintain a top performing and robust network infrastructure.
- Ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability through proactive infrastructure life cycle management and monitoring.
- Oversee and test system and application performance for issues, identify possible solutions, and work with stakeholders to implement those fixes.
- devices including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, and other network equipment and services.
- Mentor team members to be great problem solvers and provide exceptional customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years of proven experience leading projects and supervising an infrastructure or engineering team.
- Experience with Juniper or Cisco technologies in a service provider environment.
- Experience with GPON or XGS-PON access technologies such as Calix or Adtran.
- Experience guiding teams to reach creative solutions to complex problems.
- Must be willing to make recommendations and challenge upwards when appropriate for the best interest of the department.
- Experience in prioritizing and leading a team to execute short-term projects to meet long-term goals.
- Experience creating, executing and adjusting a plan with a high degree of independence.
- Experience looking beyond current processes and identifying process improvements.
- Experience with IP routing/switching, BGP, MPLS, OSPF, and IS-IS.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively translate complex topics to non-technical individuals.
This role is 100% remote, and hours are reasonably flexible. Minimal travel may be expected, although this doesn’t apply during a global pandemic. Members of the team are located typically in the ET time zone, although peer teams have members in PT, MT, and CET. While not typical, it is possible to occasionally have meetings with other teams outside of a typical 9-5 schedule.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Ting and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.