Senior Cloud Network Engineer-Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have grown into a stable of businesses; mobile, internet and domains.
“TUCOWS - OUR STORY”
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
Today, close to a thousand people work in over 16 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
About the opportunity:
We are looking for a Cloud(or Virtual) Network Engineer to join our Tucows Network Engineering team. In this role, you will be partnering with multiple technical teams (Core Networks, IAAS, Operations, etc.) and product owners to build, optimize, and maintain a highly available, large-scale access network. The candidate will be responsible for bridging the gap between the Network engineers dealing with the physical topology and the engineers responsible for IAAS.
An acute focus will be on operating our cloud network infrastructure that supports all Tucows services and business units. This is inclusive of vendor management, automation systems, and monitoring infrastructure. Engineers that live in the happy intersection of “DevOps” tooling (idempotent scripts, CI/CD testing, source of truth, etc.), Automation (Ansible, Netmiko, NAPALM, Salt), IP networking, and strong peer collaboration are encouraged to apply.
This role is 100% remote friendly, however at least twice a year we like to meet up together (of course, this doesn’t apply during a global pandemic). Hires may choose to relocate to our HQ in Toronto, work from our other established offices, and/or work from home. Peers within the team are spread over 4 time zones (PST, EST, GMT, and CET) - we overlap around EST as much as reasonably possible. Strong personal life balance is not a catchphrase here, vacations and flexible time are the norm. Your peers have operated large Internet Exchanges, worn hostmaster@ duties (when that was still a thing), RV’d across the states, built giant DnD dice, and contributed to FOSS projects. We look forward to meeting you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing, building, testing, implementing, and optimizing a highly available global cloud network infrastructure in accordance with business requirements and industry standard methodologies
- Create visual diagrams
- Create A-Z Documentation
- Participate and planning sessions with the Tucows Core (MPLS, L3 routing, WDM) for new IP project roll-out, expansion and special project implementations
- Analyze and resolve virtual network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, including issues related to security, VPN’s, routing, switching, tenant segregation, and related cloud infrastructure.
- Continuously assess and optimize the cloud network architecture as part of the growth road map to meet Tucows' strategic needs , more traditionally known as capacity planning
- Pro-actively offers proposals to improve the network, for both technical and operational efficiency
- Participate in the post-mortem analysis and propose changes that will prevent similar issues from occurring in the future
- Drive monitoring efforts with NOC to improve tooling and resolution process
- Receive mentorship from peer and senior leadership
- Want to mentor peers and new hires. Guide and teach the craft of Network Engineering
- Work closely with IAAS to design and implement Network solutions
- 10+ years proven track record designing, operating, and implementing highly Available corporate networks and cloud based virtual networks
- 3+ years of OpenStack experience(required)
- A customer-centric focus to advocate for our users, your peers, and the service as a whole
- In-depth understanding of different network architectures and protocols, their strengths, weaknesses and appropriate use.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to translate complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals
- Organizational, project and program management planning skills
- Comfortable using PM tools such as Jira, Wrike, or other project management suites
- Scripting and programming automations skills such as salt, ansible, python, etc.
- Familiarity with collaboration tools such as Google Meet, Slack, Lucidchart, etc.
- Keen eye for detail and thoroughness
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.