DevOps Engineer - Database Services - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have grown into a stable of businesses; mobile, internet and domains.
“TUCOWS - OUR STORY”
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
Today, close to a thousand people work in over 16 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
We are inviting experienced hands-on DevOps engineers with a focus on databases to join our team which builds and maintains a full stack of database services that are used across all of Tucows’ major business units. We are evolving our platforms to microservices to enable functions within Tucows across all of our platforms.
What you'll do
- Work as an embedded member of the Database Services team to provide highly available, distributed database infrastructure.
- Build automation to provision database infrastructure as code to cloud platforms with HA/DR, backup-recovery and monitoring.
- Enable secure database infrastructure with secure secret storage, dynamic secrets, and data encryption at rest and in transit.
- Collaborate with DBAs to understand the technical data and performance requirements for database services, and ensure the resources they need are provisioned with automation.
- Build performance test harnesses for end-to-end testing and metric capture for historical and comparative analysis.
- Enjoy sharing your knowledge, pair-program and mentor people you work with.
- Communicate articulately, listen, become a trusted and reliable teammate, are adventurous, and are fun to work with.
- Learn, grow, and have fun!
Experience you'll bring
- Substantive DevOps experience and passion for automating provisioning of database infrastructure as code using tools like Terraform, Salt and vault.
- Experience with CI/CD automation in a cloud engineering environment, with tools like Jenkins, GitHub Actions/Runners and Groovy.
- Experience configuring and administering open source RDBMS', NoSQL, and distributed databases such as PostgreSQL and MariaDB, Redis, Memcache, MongoDB and others.
- Experience deploying and managing stateful loads in cloud environments.
- Experience with solutions like DataDog, Prometheus and Grafana.
- Knowledge of schema registry, schema migrations and standard methodologies to apply schema migrations to databases in an automated and audited manner.
- Proficiency with Python, Linux, server automation, and scripting.
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend new technologies.
Nice to have skills/experience
- Experience with OpenStack, HashiCorp toolset (Terraform, Packer, Vault, Nomad etc.)
- Experience building database + OS performance and monitoring dashboards.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.