Director, Taxation - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Director, Taxation to join the Finance Department. Reporting to the CFO, the Director, will become a key member of a global finance team working with third-party advisors, responsible for general tax compliance, planning, and accounting for income taxes for the United States, Canada, and Europe. This is an opportunity to own the tax process and design the optimal business and work structures. This position is fully remote and can be based anywhere in North America.
What you’ll be doing:
- Champion organizational best practices to minimize tax leakage across multiple jurisdictions, including legal entity organization, transfer pricing and educating the organization on the best practices
- Lead the quarterly and annual financial statement tax reporting processes including working with our third-part advisors to coordinate and facilitate the preparation of the provision working papers, review of financial statement tax notes and responding to requests from external auditors
- Manage the tax compliance cycle of the Tucows Group, including coordinating third-party advisors globally to ensure timely and accurate filings of tax returns
- Update and maintain appropriate transfer pricing process documentation and controls with a continuous improvement mindset and utilize technology whenever possible.
- Assist with other tax planning and compliance processes by establishing best practices and controls, including sales, value-added and property tax compliance.
- Support and assist with implementing sales and use tax controls, including ensuring compliance with provincial and state requirements.
- Monitor legislative changes in the U.S. and Canada, and key international tax laws that may impact the company and work with third-party advisors to address any consequences of such changes.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the CFO which may include performing multi-jurisdictional tax research, preparing tax memoranda, analyzing business cases and M&A opportunities.
What It Takes:
- Bachelor’s degree required, CPA designation or legal Tax background
- Minimum of 7 years tax experience
- Experience in the following technical areas would be advantageous: Consolidated tax return process for a large multinational company, ASC 740 (FAS 109), FIN 48 reserve analysis, Purchase accounting, Transfer Pricing documentation
- Ability to evaluate, analyze, prioritize work under tight timelines, and problem solve a variety of tasks to ensure timely and accurate completion
- A proactive, can-do, work ethic; a demonstrated strong desire to work hard to identify issues and opportunities, including exemplifying a trust, but verify approach
- Telco experience an asset
- Ability to manage relationships with external tax advisors in tax planning and compliance assignments. Ability to work cooperatively with internal finance and accounting services teams. Collaborate with peers and senior management on file planning and completion within time constraints
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.