GIS Analyst (6 month contract) - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the opportunity
We need a GIS Analyst who will be responsible for all things GIS and mapping in every market we enter. You will join a growing GIS team that tracks our fiber buildout using ESRI-based systems and other database technologies
This is a role at Ting Internet, a branch of Tucows inside of a larger company. This means you’ll work with a wide variety of groups inside the organization, so strong communication skills will be key. You'll have to think on your toes, be able to figure out what questions to ask, and be comfortable juggling many short-term and long-term objectives at the same time.
- Managing our address database, including tracking and categorizing address types
- Helping various internal departments (sales, marketing, finance, product) use GIS information and applications to help grow our business
- Mapping orders and customer interest across our fiber networks in multiple markets
- Liaising with external data sources (such as cities and construction teams) to ensure information in the database is up to date as possible
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent database skills, with knowledge in MySQL or similar technologies
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to converse at both business and technical levels
- Ability to work hard in a fast-paced, self-directed, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with Esri GIS software is required
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and integration with GIS is a plus
- Prior Telecom experience is an asset
- University degree/college diploma in Geography or a related field
- 3 to 5 years working within the GIS industry
- Some travel to the U.S. may be required
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.