Senior Manager, Corporate Development - Remote
Remote, Seattle, WA
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the Opportunity:
Ting Fiber is revolutionizing Internet access in the United States. We have already launched Gigabit speed internet in multiple cities and laying the groundwork for rapid scale. We are investing millions in building and operating Fiber networks, partnering with progressive towns across the US to change what people expect from their Internet service provider. We are looking for a dedicated Corporate and Mergers and Acquisition development leader to join our Finance team! The individual will play a key part in developing and executing on both short and long-term growth strategies for our rapidly growing Ting Fiber business. Your challenge will be to identify, evaluate, value, and structure various Fiber related opportunities including acquisitions, partnerships and financing investments. You will act as an objective advisor regarding the strategic fit, valuation, and structuring of these various opportunities. This role is expected to provide overall project/deal management and, where appropriate, to work with the leadership teams of the various Fiber functional areas.
This position will initially work closely with the CEO and CFO and will eventually report directly to a Mergers and Acquisition executive.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Lead proactive business development and deal initiation activities, including building and maintaining industry relationships. Conduct industry, public market and precedent transaction research and analysis to source opportunities and acquisitions that fit with Ting’s strategic build plans. Develop strategic rationale, transaction fit, and investment timeline supported by sophisticated financial and valuation models. Utilize continuous learning and growth attitude to build an acquisition playbook.
For identified targets, develop views of valuation, and assist with term sheet negotiations and legal document coordination. Lead in all stages of the transaction’s lifecycle from term sheet to close, collaborating with internal functional partners and business group leads as well as collaborating with counterparties and external advisors.
Support the finance team through the financial diligence process, including coordination, identifying areas of risk with respect to diligence gaps and ongoing close timing considerations. Upon close, support the transition to the integration process.
- Business degree with 2 to 5 years of relevant post-graduate experience, acquired in Corporate Finance, Investment Banking, Commercial/Corporate Banking, Private Equity, Management Consulting, Corporate Development, or other similar corporate finance roles.
- Financing experience in arranging senior, subordinated, asset backed and equity financing for corporations and financial institutions.
- Experience sourcing and identifying new investment opportunities and acquisition prospects.
- Experience as an active participant in the Mergers and Acquisition deal qualification process, including evaluation of profitability of target company, target company integration synergies and challenges, and due diligence process of company evaluation.
- Full understanding of financial statements, financial models and business valuations
- A proven track record in business development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and interpretative skills.
- CPA, CBV, MBA and/or CFA designation is an asset but not required. A minimum of 2-3 years of related financial reporting or planning and analysis experience, preferably with multi-currency, multi-location, SaaS or telecommunications exposure.
- A creative problem-solver, who thrives in complex, ambiguous situations and prides themselves on staying one step ahead of potential issues.
- A people-person, who derives energy from working across various stakeholders across multiple teams and companies.
- A multidisciplinary wiz with great attention to detail, who feels a deep sense of calm when they know they’ve orchestrated it such that all of the trains are running on time.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.