Counsel, Commercial Transactions - Remote
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Commercial Transactions attorney will be an integral part of the senior legal team, providing counsel directly to company leaders regarding both legal and business issues. Specific responsibilities will include drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial and vendor agreements, statements of work, intellectual property licensing agreements, and customer agreements. In addition, the successful candidate should be able to review and advise on legal and regulatory requirements for business initiatives, provide training to business teams on legal and regulatory matters, and provide legal review of marketing practices and materials.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to work efficiently and independently; think creatively to proactively solve problems; make high-judgment assessments of risk while effectively dealing with ambiguity; multitask high work volume and projects; and continually improve legal support programs to the Company.
As Counsel, Commercial Transactions, you are highly client-service oriented, verbally adept, and able to explain legal risk and language to non-lawyers. You are able to prioritize appropriately with the ability to switch gears with ease and without sacrificing quality of work. You consistently maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity, and discretion in handling confidential information, and work well with people at all levels inside and outside the company. Above all, you present with a sense of calm while acting with appropriate urgency when a quick response or turnaround is required.
What you'll be doing:
- JD or international equivalent and strong academic credentials
- 5+ years as a practicing attorney, with at least two of those years at a major law firm
- Strong experience managing and negotiating large and varied commercial transactions
- Membership in good standing in at least one state or foreign bar
Skills you will bring:
- Ability to apply a high level of discretion, common sense, and good judgment to ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and directly with all levels of legal and business partners
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through, and meet deadlines
- Experience successfully contributing to cross-functional teams
- Keen interest in solving customer problems in new ways
- A life-long learner with a high desire to grow and develop over time
- Experience supporting business teams as they grow and scale
- Strong written and oral communications skills and an ability to clearly and simply summarize complex ideas
- Strong analytical skills
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.