DevOps Automation Engineer, Observability - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
The observability team builds and runs an infrastructure that allows other teams to observe the health, performance and trends of their systems and environments.
We use industry proven technology, namely Prometheus/Grafana for metrics, Graylog/Loki for logs, and Tempo for APM.
Deployments are done via Terraform and Saltstack in our own OpenStack cloud infrastructure.
If you have experience with observability tools and are willing to learn new technologies, and are someone who rather automates processes than manually do the wash, rinse, repeat cycle, this is where you want to be.
We are looking for people with the following:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Ability to write code in Python/Go/Bash or similar to solve problems and develop effective tooling
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools and best practices such as Terraform
- Extensive knowledge of configuration management systems (Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt)
- Experience with modern observability/monitoring systems such as Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, ELK, Splunk, Nagios, New Relic, Graylog
- Experience with container based technologies such as Docker and orchestration (Nomad/Kubernetes)
- Strong troubleshooting skills and knowledge of UNIX systems
Why work with us:
- Work with like minded people where you can fully explore your passion for automation
- Like us, you’re never satisfied with the status quo. Work with a team who is always looking for ways to improve things like existing deployment pipelines or current technology
- You enjoy solving puzzles as much as we do and think you could be our next root cause superhero!
Nice to have:
- Contributions to an open-source project (of any kind)
- An "Automate First" attitude
- Test Driven Development attitude
- Experience with GitHub actions
- Experience working in an agile environment
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.