Systems Engineer - DNS-Remote
Remote, Vancouver, BC
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
The Systems Engineer is a technical role responsible for coordinating operations of the Tucows DNS stack. Using DevOps tools and methodologies, this role will require the Engineer to push new infrastructure into the future, while continuing to maintain the legacy platform. Duties include responding to trouble tickets and prioritizing them quickly and accurately. The successful Engineer will quell network attacks and carefully balance capacity issues, while identifying bottlenecks of production systems. Solving problems through creativity is encouraged and a self-starter demeanour is required.
We value a positive and constructive demeanour with excellent verbal and written communications skills. Tucows Engineers are able to work as an individual while also being a strong team member.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
- Understanding, investigating and diagnosing incidents and problems relating to the DNS query/resolution process.
- Ensure platforms and services are handled, maintained, and that system improvements are implemented.
- Define the capacity and performance standards including metrics and thresholds, and help build the instrumentation to efficiently coordinate the environment.
- Operates DNS enterprise servers as part of a team of DNS Professionals in a security-related environment using DNSSEC.
- Perform work within the defined SLAs.
- Build and update documentation as the need arises.
- Support on-call rotation schedule.
- Learn, grow, and have fun!
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive and recent experience of a public facing DNS in a large enterprise i.e. RBL, DKIM, DMARC.
- Extensive experience with Linux distributions and willing to learn other flavors of Linux.
- Ability to write code, automate routine operations' tasks, and integrate into various APIs to build a cohesive platform in Python, Bash scripting, or Perl.
- Familiarity with using version control systems, Git is helpful.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving, and the ability to debug complex-cross systems problems, and document root cause including remediation and detection.
- Executes in a customer-centric, large scale, virtualized environments.
- Experience with continuous deployment standard methodologies.
- Prior knowledge of load balancer technology and working in an agile environment is a plus.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Experience with configuration management and performance tuning i.e. Terraform, SaltStack, etc.
- Experience with PowerDNS, BIND, dnsdist and/or similar technologies.
- Previous work experience in a wide-range NOC environment.
- Knowledge of the OSI model.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you are a hardworking engineer and this sounds like something you might like to be a part of, we may have a job for you!
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.