Manager, Cloud Network Engineering - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the opportunity:We are looking for a hands-on Manager to lead our Cloud Network Engineering team. In this role, you will be directing a team and partnering with multiple technical teams (field operations, facilities, customer experience, etc.) and product owners to build, optimize, and maintain a highly available, large-scale access network.
An acute focus will be on operating our corporate backbone that supports all Tucows services and business units. This is inclusive of MPLS routing, vendor management, automation systems, and monitoring infrastructure. Engineers that live in the happy intersection of “DevOps” tooling (idempotent scripts, CI/CD testing, source of truth, etc.), Automation (Ansible, Netmiko, NAPALM, Salt), IP networking, and strong peer collaboration are encouraged to apply.
This role is 100% remote-friendly, however at least twice a year we like to meet up together (of course, this doesn’t apply during a global pandemic). Hires may choose to relocate to our HQ in Toronto, work from our other established offices, and/or work from home. Peers within the team are spread over 4 timezones (PST, EST, GMT, and CET) - we overlap around EST as much as reasonably possible. Strong personal life balance is not a catchphrase here, vacations and flexible time are the norms. Your peers have operated large Internet Exchanges, worn hostmaster@ duties (when that was still a thing), RV’d across the states, built giant DnD dice, and contributed to FOSS projects. We look forward to meeting you!
- Four core areas of responsibilities: Core network architecture, network services delivery, cloud network management, people management.
- Lead and advance Tucows Network team and services.
- Develop network team roadmap, projects, and headcount allocation.
- Support security and audit requirements, including disaster recovery and business continuity.
- Develop team’s OKRs, and provide team members with career growth plans.
- Continuously look for opportunities to optimize network infrastructure.
- Chip into strategic planning, direction, and goal setting for Tucows Infrastructure.
- Participate in the post-mortem analysis and propose changes that will prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.
- Off-hours management engagements based on business needs.
- Lead the designing, building, testing, implementing, and optimizing highly available global network infrastructure in accordance with business requirements and industry-standard methodologies.
- Analyze and drive resolving network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, including issues related to L3 routing (generally BGP/OSPF based), L2 (MEF, ERPS, etc) metropolitan regional networks, and related infrastructure.
- Continuously assess the network architecture as part of the growth road map to meet Tucows' strategic needs.
- Proactively identify and improve the network, for both technical and operational efficiency.
- Drive network monitoring efforts to improve the tooling and resolution process.
Core Proficiencies and Experience:
- Extensive working record in core network management and cloud services.
- Demonstrate skills in team management, development and business growth.
- Confident and able to make decisions and tackle problems under pressure.
- Experience in designing, operating and implementing IP networks.
- Experience in major Cloud solutions, visualizations, DNS, and Infrastructure as a code.
- Experience with and focus on modern, automated approaches to Infrastructure and operations.
- Familiarity with cloud networking platforms such as OpenStack is an Asset.
- Familiarity with Cumulus routing and A10 network devices (virtual and physical).
- A customer-centric focus to advocate for our users, peers, and the service as a whole.
- In-depth understanding of different network architectures and protocols, their strengths, weaknesses and proper use.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to translate complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals.
- Proficiency in monitoring tools such as Zabbix, Nagios, etc.
- Handle vendor relationships.
- Able to work in a fast-paced and high demanding environment.
- Infrastructure as experience is an advantage.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.