Data Center Technician
Culver City, CA
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team with the expansion of "Crazy Fast Fiber Internet" service in multiple markets across the U.S.? The Data Center Technician is an implementation agent as well as a server, switch, and building maintenance technician. You will have to operate in tight spaces to run cables, improve physical security, manage shipping and receiving, complete inventory management of your locations, and more. This is a regional position and travel within your assigned region will be required. This position will also partner with key process leaders in the business to improve completion of rolling out our expansive fiber network across the country.
The Data Center Technician is an implementation agent as well as a server, switch, and building maintenance technician. You will have to operate in tight spaces to run cables, improve physical security, manage shipping and receiving, complete inventory management of your locations, and more. This is a regional position and travel within your assigned region will be required. This position will also partner with key process leaders in the business to improve completion of rolling out our expansive fiber network across the country.
The role includes:
- Responsible for regional data center operations. This includes access control, documentation, shipping and receiving, rack and stack, troubleshooting, cabling, equipment repair, and preventative maintenance.
- Operating in parallel with our Field Operations Team, Network Engineering Team, Systems Engineering Team, Vendors, and Operating Staff to deliver preeminent and steadfast products to our customers.
- Install and arrange new equipment for data centers. This may include physically upgrading internal system components (CPU), memory, hard drives, fiber cables, power cables, CAT6, and more. Once installed collaboration with the proper engineering team to ensure cyber security and network efficiency.
- Monitoring and maintaining operation of all network processes is the primary duty of all data technicians. Evaluating environmental (room) temperature levels for optimal performance of equipment.
- Provide live hands on support as needed for engineering staff.
- Create and own a list of critical spare parts.
- Create and own a list of spare fiber and CAT6 cables, power cables, serial cables, etc.
- Maintain clean and proper installation of equipment across your region.
- Other duties as your manager assigns.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Hardware repair – Understanding of hardware repair for servers, networking gear, testing equipment, etc.
- Networking – Understanding of network topology from servers, switches, routers, monitors, and other equipment. Previous experience in telecommunications a plus.
- Troubleshooting skills – Performing tests to identify and fix errors in computer networks including LAN and WAN is a key component.
- Physical requirements – Ability to work on your feet most of the day, regularly crawl, crouch, kneel, and lift equipment up to 60lbs into racks as the use of a server lift is not always available.
- Inventory management – Maintain accurate inventory of tools, equipment, networking devices, critical spare parts, cables, etc.
- Communication skills – Being able to explain complicated technical processes in a simple to understand way to non-technical staff.
- Basic Generator & UPS Maintenance - Must take ownership and keep a log of maintenance of all generators as well as UPS units owned by our company. Including schedule of replacing batteries per manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Power balance and calculations - Ability to calculate rack power load and balance of said load between redundant power distribution units to ensure site reliability is integral to redundancy at the data center.
- Technical writing skills – Develop standard operating procedures and manuals for environments you are in charge of.
- On-Call – Must be able to respond to emergency calls 24 hours a day when on-call.
- Multi-task – Must be able to prioritize and multi-task requests in order of importance and efficiency.
- Access control – Understanding access control and physical security of the data center.
- Driving – Driving to all locations within your region. Must have a clean driving record.
- Growth mindset – Must be driven to grow and succeed professionally. Including being self-managed and self-motivated.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training
- 5+ years Data Center Infrastructure experience
- Growth mindset – Must be driven to grow and succeed professionally
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.