Director of Finance Systems & Data-Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the Opportunity:
Tucows is seeking an experienced professional for a newly created position as the Director of Finance Systems and Data reporting to the Head of Finance. The Director of Finance Systems and Data will have a deep understanding of finance systems and associated processes and work closely with Finance business stakeholders and technology teams to solve complex business problems through a combination of optimized processes, systems, data, and tools. The Director of Finance Systems and Data will work closely with the Finance leadership team to identify and execute upon efficiencies and savings opportunities especially in the areas of reporting systems, planning & forecasting solutions, Intacct, and other bespoke systems.
The ideal candidate to fill this position will have demonstrated success in implementing world-class financial systems. You will possess a broad business view and the ability to think through market dynamics, internal customer needs, and the overall business strategy. You will be a proven change-agent and will demonstrate a track record of success around leveraging leading-edge technology solutions and partnering effectively with stakeholders to innovate and drive business outcomes. This is a very hands-on role that will require a willingness to work directly within the tools and systems to test during implementations, troubleshoot issues in live environments as well as sandboxes, and manage day-to-day administration when applicable.
What you'll be doing:
- Act as the thought leader for finance in coordinating the execution of major technology transformation and deployment, staying up to date with leading finance technology trends
- Plan, manage and execute end-to-end financial transformation initiative including evaluation of feasibility and benefit of improvement efforts
- Evaluate, prioritize and scope work to build a finance transformation plan/roadmap
- Partner with key finance stakeholders as well as other Technology teams to support Finance innovation and change initiatives to enable simplification and standardization of key finance processes
- Work closely with vendors to ensure successful development and delivery of software solutions to ensure they meet business expectations including key activities such as, but not limited to: architecture/technical design & implementation, data integration/migration, issue resolution, integration testing, technical documentation, security standards implementation
- Ongoing administration, testing, and maintenance of Finance tools in a production state
- Manage and drive accountabilities of stakeholders and teams involved
- Lead efforts to re-platform or integrate finance/accounting systems
- Drive alignment between finance function and overall business strategy
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, finance, accounting, business or economics (Master’s Degree preferred) or equivalent
- 10+ years of related experience, including familiarity with Financial System Tools and Data Science, data inter-dependencies across numerous core systems and be extremely proficient in digital and automation opportunities and tools
- 5+ years of experience in Transformation Project Management; extensive Finance or Accounting expertise, background and experience is required
- Experience improving or restructuring finance processes and controls
- Strong leadership qualities including effective executive presence; exceptional verbal and written communication skills are a must
- Demonstrated experience in being an agent for change with the ability to influence all areas of the organization
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.