PostgreSQL and MySQL DBA-Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
We are inviting experienced hands-on Database Administrators with a flair for software engineering to join our team, which builds and maintains a host of database services that are used across all of Tucows’ major business units. We are evolving our platforms to provision DaaS in our private cloud.
What You’ll Do
- Work as an embedded member of the Database Services team to provide highly available, scalable, distributed database infrastructure.
- Collaborate with internal customers to understand RPOs, RTOs & RLOs, capacity, performance and security needs, and design, test & roll-out apt solutions for various business needs.
- Participate in all standard DB operational procedures and provide Tier 2 on-call rotation schedule.
- Enable secure database infrastructure with secure storage, dynamic secrets management, and data encryption at-rest and in-transit.
- Collaborate on building automation to provision database infrastructure as code to cloud platforms.
- Build performance test harnesses for end-to-end testing and metric capture for historical and comparative analysis.
- Bring balance to the team; learn, grow, and have fun!
Who You Are
- Passionate about PostgreSQL and MySQL/MariaDB in Linux environments with a deep understanding of internals.
- Have 5-7 years of hands-on experience in designing, installing, configuring and administering PostgreSQL/MySQL/MariaDB in stand-alone and distributed topologies in a 24x7 environment.
- Have knowledge of schema migrations and standard methodologies to apply code promotions and migrations to production databases.
- A strong problem solver who takes full accountability.
- Possess a team-first mentality, love to collaborate, are a trusted teammate, an eloquent communicator, mentor, and are fun to work with.
Who You Might Be
- Someone experienced with migrating to PostgreSQL from MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle or SQL Server.
- Familiar with multi-model databases.
- Someone familiar with automation, CI/CD, in a cloud engineering environment, using tools like Jenkins and GitHub Actions.
- Someone with wholesale or retail domain names experience.
- A person who’s worked for an ISP or is familiar with telcos and MVNOs
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.