City Manager - Remote
Culver City, CA
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
We have recently added Fullerton and Culver City near Los Angeles and Solana Beach near San Diego. We are talking to new towns around the country every day.
We need a local face of the business in Culver City. A local boss. We need someone who can identify and build solid relationships - from city government officials to real estate developers and agents to influencers to tech businesses to non-profits to parent-teacher associations to homeowners associations. We need someone who can pitch a construction plan to city council in the morning and crazy fast fiber Internet on local radio in the afternoon. We need someone who will evaluate business opportunities, own sales goals and find every conceivable way to hit them. We need someone who can collaborate with internal marketing, install, construction and support teams to combine your local insights with their expertise. We need someone who can partner with enterprise sales to close big deals.
This is a unique position. It is entrepreneurial but you have a great team behind you. You are taking on national telco giants. But in your markets, with your fiber network and your customer experience, you are the favorite. It is an opportunity to learn and leverage a fantastic range of business skills.
If you are with a startup, you will appreciate feeling resourced for success. If you are in a large corporation, you will definitely appreciate feeling empowered and inspired.
- Oversee public relations and affairs
- Manage local government relationships and processes
- Identify and negotiate opportunities with real estate developers
- Initiate enterprise sales opportunities
- Lead our local digital inclusion efforts
- Partner closely with marketing, network, product and support teams
- Guide the construction planning and priorities
- Project and drive business results
- Minimum ten years of strategic and operational business experience
- Knowledge of management and finance principles and practices
- Strong local connection, knowledge and relationships
- Some experience working for, lobbying or partnering with governments
- Confidence with public writing and speaking
- Experience and comfort in a highly collaborative environment
- Telecom experience is an asset
- Spanish proficiency is an asset
- Occasional travel within the United States and Canada will be required
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.