Software Engineer -Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have grown into a stable of businesses; mobile, internet and domains.
“TUCOWS - OUR STORY”
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the internet!
Today, close to a thousand people work in over 16 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives and creative input.
Hover, our retail domain registration division, is where the Internet’s ideas get domain named. No gimmicks. No up-sells. Just easy domain and email management.
You’ll need to be comfortable working in a small team where you can thrive in a tight, collaborative environment. And you should also be ready and willing to take the ball and run on your own at times.
About the opportunity:
We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning, sharing their knowledge and applying new technologies to complex problems.
You have notable experience developing software and are good at using frameworks like Ruby on Rails to implement features and ship code regularly. You are also capable of navigating large codebases and uncovering the complexity in existing systems. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in code reviews and design discussions. In addition to the above, you are nimble and able to remain effective when priorities shift.
This position can be complete remote or you can work from one of our office locations located in Canada or USA. Preferred location for this position is remote or in Toronto head office.
What you’ll be doing:
- In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our existing platforms
- Implement small stories and ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that development standards are adhered to
- Design and implement features of increasing complexity
- In the first year:
- Own projects or features from conception to release
- Balance the need to ship code quickly with the need to make sound technical decisions.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years professional experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience building application in Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience working in an agile environment
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Docker & the Hashicorp Ecosystem
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.