Fiber OSP Technician
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team planning the expansion of crazy-fast Internet service in multiple markets across the U.S.? This position resides in the local Ting town of Charlottesville.
This position will be responsible to regularly perform Outside plant work along with maintenance and other activities.
Outside Plant I/II will be part of a fiber blowing and splicing team and will be reporting to the Fiber Deployment Manager. Other duties will include performing installation and maintenance of outside plant fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice domes, cabinets, and some central office work. OSP Tech will share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
What you’ll be doing:
- Performing installation of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver crazy-fast Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Liaising with Fiber Construction Manager/OSP Technician Lead for any fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all required materials for installation and maintenance are properly checked out from Inventory
- Proactively and consistently review today’s scheduled dispatches and assist where needed to maintain scheduled productivity
- Participate in local marketing events as needed
- Conduct site surveys as required
- Attend meetings
- All other duties assigned by the manager
What you’ll bring:
- Construction experience preferred
- Telecommunications and/or Cable experience preferred
- Fiber optic experience preferred
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- Displays leadership skills required
- Experience with fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred but not required
- The ability to assess different installation scenarios, and effectively determine the required time, approach, and equipment, will be required.
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Comfortable with hand tools/power tools and test equipment
- The ability to work as part of a team
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.