DevOps Engineer, Elastic Stack, Shared Services - Remote
Remote, Vancouver, BC
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
We are looking for a DevOps engineer who has strong experience with Linux and Elasticsearch to join our Elastic team.
Our team provides managed Elasticsearch clusters for use by other teams, and we manage the infrastructure that is used to accomplish this. We are responsible for deploying virtual infrastructure to our OpenStack private cloud, as well as building and maintaining all the systems used for monitoring, logging, monitoring, and deployment of our systems and services.
You have a passion for automation, and will participate in building and maintaining a reusable Elasticsearch as a Service solution for other teams in the company.
Your experience with Elasticsearch and related technologies will allow you to act as a subject matter expert for the teams that are using Elasticsearch.
Who you are:
- You have extensive experience working with and troubleshooting Linux-based systems.
- You have extensive experience maintaining infrastructure via configuration management (SaltStack or similar) and infrastructure as code (Terraform or similar).
- You have solid experience working with and supporting ElasticSearch.
- You have a passion and a talent for automation.
- You have experience working with public or private cloud (OpenStack or similar).
- You have experience with container orchestration (Nomad or similar).
- You are comfortable working with Git and GitHub.
- You are a team player who enjoys learning from others, as well as helping others learn.
Who you might be:
- You might have experience writing automation tools in Python.
- You might have experience creating your own Docker images.
- You might have experience creating or maintaining an in-house “as a Service” solution.
What you will do:
- Maintain the Elastic Team’s infrastructure using Terraform and Salt.
- Provide Elasticsearch clusters “as a Service”, via automated deployment pipelines (GitHub Actions).
- Ensure our monitoring system (Prometheus and Grafana) is keeping tabs on everything, and notifying us when problems arise (or preferably before problems arise!).
- Be a subject matter expert for Elasticsearch and related technologies (Logstash, Kibana, Filebeat), and provide guidance to the teams who are using these systems.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.