Devops Engineer, Ting Mobile - Remote
Remote, Toronto, ON
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is on a mission to make the Internet better by providing people everywhere with online access to be empowered to make individual contributions. As a company, we embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and understanding to encourage freedom, inspire innovation, and promote inclusivity; creating an environment for everyone to thrive!
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway. We are a 25-year-old global start-up embracing agility and creativity in order to continually seize opportunity for growth. We have evolved from a start-up domain service provider to becoming the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world while expanding our business with Ting, an Internet services company partnering with towns and cities to change what customers expect from their Internet Service Provider. We are building fiber networks across the US and have already launched Gigabit speed service in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Idaho and California, laying the groundwork for rapid scale.
Our growth has been incredible, smart, and measured, built on a solid technical and financial foundation. We have doubled our workforce in the last 4 years and continue in rapid expansion mode, providing services to millions of customers around the world.
About the opportunity:
Are you looking for a position where you can seed innovation and creativity?
Is it important for you to be a part of a dynamic, fast-paced, successful and stable company with a flexible work environment?
The Ting Mobile Engineering Team is looking for the right engineer with a strong Devops and automation background to join our team. A successful candidate will be creating and building internal tools and APIs to enable our Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment systems to efficiently manage our compute, network, and storage platforms.
You will have the opportunity to participate and be part of our highly skilled team and will contribute to the design, development, and engineering of the technology infrastructure supporting Ting Mobile services.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with invested growth opportunities. If you meet the below qualifications and are ready to be part of a fast-growing technology company where you determine your future, we want to hear from you.
This is a completely remote opportunity within Canada and USA.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with members of internal Engineering and DevOps Tools and Automation team to build and create internal tools and APIs for managing our network and cloud infrastructure.
- Research, innovate and implement new technologies that improve our velocity.
- Maintain and improve existing deployment tools.
- Convert existing legacy applications to run on new technologies such as docker.
- Provide domain expertise for solutions and applications for tooling
Qualifications and experience:
- Strong Python coding skills, 3+ years experience.
- Shell scripting (Bash).
- Extensive experience with Linux. We use Debian but we expect that you can easily pick up other distributions.
- Experience with Saltstack or Ansible python based automation frameworks. Able to extend these frameworks with new modules.
- Automating builds with Jenkins.
- Experience with Docker.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code principles and best practices.
- Experience with metric monitoring tools such as prometheus, alert manager, graylog, elastic search.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend new technologies.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with an ability to build relationships.
- Work effectively within a team environment.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Familiarity with Kafka, Cassandra, Elastic stack, graylog
- Familiarity with Perl, Groovy and frameworks such as Django, Flask, Ruby On Rails
- Experience with Hashicorp tools such as Terraform, Nomad, Vault, Consul, Vagrant.
- Familiarity with concepts of GitFlow and automation tools like github actions
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.